Sunday, February 18, 2007

Oscar Whiner

We are now a week away from the Oscars. I normally look forward to watching them, but this year, I feel like an Oscar weiner.

Last week while I was recovering, my family and I rented a couple of movies- 'The Departed', which I had never seen, and 'Superman Returns', my favorite summer movie from last year. We watched them back-to-back.

'The Departed' was a great movie. All-star cast, phenomenal acting, Scorcece directing, brilliant. Heaps of Oscar nominations.

'Superman Returns' stole my heart. I loved it. Beautiful cinematography, exciting action sequences, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, and a story true to the original Reeve-as-Superman movies. I cried when I first saw it. But not a single Oscar nomination.

Now, don't get me wrong- I can see and understand why movies like 'The Departed', 'Little Miss Sunshine', and 'The Queen' receive nominations, but I feel like something is completely missing from Oscar's VIP List: movies that appeal to the masses. There is something to be said about their box office numbers and their ability to draw in the larger population other than the upper-educated middle class crowd.

My must-see DVD for you if you've seen all the Oscar nominees this year and want a good break from them all: 'Superman Returns'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home