Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Last week, I went to get my usual bloodwork done. After getting the results, my doctor called me late in the evening to tell me that based on the three of the findings, I have no immunity system to fight a common cold or any other contagious disease. These three numbers were "below critical and now at a dangerous level" and "if I was to catch something, I need to go straight to the ER with a copy of the results." The doctor went on and ask that over the weekend, I place myself on "house arrest and quarantine myself in order that I do not get exposed to a cough, sneeze, or anyone sick."

"It could be a lab error, so go in Monday to have the bloodwork done again."

I hoped he was right. But he called me yesterday. The results were the same. Now he wants me to come in ASAP to receive an emeregency injection of some type of medicine that will rapidly produce white blood cells in my body. He wasn't sure how often I need to get this done.

He didn't have a clue as to why this has happened.

Reaction: Okay. I believe that there are two places I can go to for support: God and loved ones in my life.

God: He is "ominpresent" and "He will never leave nor forsake you." So He is here with me. While I should feel safe and secure because He knows exactly what He's doing, all I do is sit there and bombard Him with questions like "What's the purpose of this?" or "Why is this happening? The doctors don't know, so can you please tell me?"

Loved ones in my life: Without a doubt, they go through it with me. But they go through it differently, sometimes at a different angle. Some of them choose to approach me and the situation from a positive attitude. And while I understand that they are trying to lift me and the situation up, it can make me feel isolated and make me think that they don't understand.

Conclusion: I may sound to you like I'm being negative, but all I'm trying to do is describe the situation from my point of view.

Someone mentioned that I may die not from the multiple brain tumors in my head, but from the problems that have arisen as a result of the brain tumors.

That is definitely a possibility.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Nothing like kicking someone when they're already down. I'm glad there's something they can give you to make your increase your white blood cells, but I'm sorry you're confined to your house and have to try to avoid germs, especially this time of year when they're every where. Hugs, Ern.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I wish I could edit my comment and correct my typo. It bugs me. (But not enough to delete it and repost it.)

5:39 PM  
Blogger ellyt said...

Yes, it sucks. How about the old adage that for every negative thing the docs say, they need to say 2 good things, and make a sandwich out of the comments with the neggy one in the middle...so here it is:

"What an amazing sense of humor you have. You know humor can help people live for so much longer than those who don't use it. And although you have basically little immunity from germs, you have such eclectic taste in fashion, tv and movies that you will be able to be creative in the ways that you thrive,even by shopping online catalogues."

That kind of thing...they should teach that in medical school.

At least they didn't say that you could catch a "trojan" or other computer virus, and use your cell phone, so you can still use "safe text".

I won't pretend to totally understand what you are going through but I know that I won't ever give up on you, or on being your friend. I love you!

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home