Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Be Careful How You Pronounce This:

It's like "Fuddruckers". Here we go:

Momofuku.

That's the name of the place my sister and I went for lunch yesterday. And while the name sounds alluring, the outstanding reputation of the restaurant's food precedes its funny name. Food critics from many newspapers and magazines have raved over this asian noodle bar located in NYC on 1st Avenue.

I had never been before so we decided to check it out. On a 1 to 10 scale, 10 being the best- Ambience: 8, Service: 8, Food: 3.

Why a 3? The bowl of soup and ramen noodles I ordered was SALTY beyond a horse cube. My sister felt her food was so salty that she poured half a glass of water into her bowl to dilute the sharp taste. I turned around to ask the couple behind me if they felt the same. They agreed and couldn't finish the entrees they ordered.

Instead of just leaving, never coming back and not saying why, I decided to let the waitress know. She took my complaint to her boss who took it to the restaurant manager.

The manager came out, apologized, and then explained: we get this opinion from some diners, because they don't realize that our broths are cured-ham based, almost like a bacon or country ham. That's where the saltiness comes from."

"Oh. (Pause.) Ahhhhh. Now it makes so much sense! Looking back, I can totally taste it!"

He still comped us part of the meal.

So now you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home