Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Hear Me Out.


Tomorrow morning, unbeknownst to most of you, I will trek down to Charlottesville once again, but this time, to have a bone marrow biopsy, where they take a six inch needle and jam it into your hip and snip off a piece of marrow for testing.

Stay with me...

For that, I want to be rewarded. Why? Let me explain. There seems to be a "rewards/incentive" program in some parts of living life. For example, when you go to work and endure hardships at the office, you get a paycheck for all your efforts. When a child goes to the dentist or doctor, they get a sugar-free lollipop for their courage and good behavior. And when we vote or donate blood, we get a sticker letting everyone know what we did.

So what's wrong with me wanting to reward myself after I go through this potentially painful procedure? I ain't sayin' it has to be a $8250 skateboard, but how about a little somethin'-somethin' that keeps my focus off the procedure and on the prize?

I've been through five brain surgeries, several rounds of radiation, and enough chemotherapy that I want to start rewarding myself every now and then. Is that being too child-like? Too greedy?

To borrow Lon Solomon's words, "Not a sermon, just a thought."

May your Thursday be procedure-free.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. said...

How about a classic Swatch for your collection? And make sure they give you some good drugs to keep the pain at bay ...

9:34 PM  
Blogger ellyt said...

They could at least give you the newest Lego set made....I don't get it, with all of the strides they have made in modern medicine, WHY can't they make biopsies pain free. I mean, isn't that why they have pain killers? I just don't get it.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home