Sunday, March 07, 2010

Carpe Diem, Start Living Now...

The Bucket List, Live Today As If It's Your Last, Live Like You Were Dyin'...

I went sky diving,
I went Rocky Mountain clumbing,
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu,
And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying,
An he said, 'Some day, I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin.'"

Does this really work? It certainly means well. But if you were truly dying, you'd have to do things like write a will and a living will, plan your funeral and memorial service, the list goes on. And once that's done, how are you feeling? Are you well enough to do all those things on your "Bucket List"?

When do you stop treatment? Do you buy things and then return home and figure out who's to inherit them?

Every person is different. so what's your definition of a good "quality of life"?

I'm not trying to sound so doom and gloom, but it is certainly food for thought when you're close to dying.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Calhoun said...

That was Dennis' favorite song_and he went sky diving-along with his favorite joy-skiing!

I have the sky diving picture in the living room-looking at it now as I write you.

My heart and prayers are with you!

Love,

Ben

6:11 PM  
Blogger Michael K. said...

Pull out Paul's copy of the little black-covered "24 Hour" book and read the Sanskrit Proverb in the front. It speaks to the matter of living completly for today ...

6:20 PM  
Blogger ellyt said...

Ernie,
My prayer for you is that you have moments each day of relatively painfree living. In those moments, I hope that you just sit and feel the love of your friends.
It is a very spiritual question: how will each of us live out our days. What will fill our thoughts and our hours as we know that our time is coming to an end. I hope that I can approach it as sensitively and thoughtfully as you. You, at your young age, have taught this old coot some very real life lessons. You are my teacher and my friend.
I love you,
Elly

2:04 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

We love you, Ern.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Ernie - I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I think about you often, especially when I see a Louis Vuitton ad. But really, I do think of you a lot, especially recently. You are so loved by so many people, including me.

Love you,
Holly

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home