Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Details

The original brain tumor grew on my optic nerves, damaging the fifth optic nerve in my right eye which controls lubrication.

The lack of lubrication caused an ulcer to form on the cornea, so he squeezed a bunch of antibiotic ointment on it and patched the eye up. When the doctor removed it the next day, there was little improvement. "This will re-occur indefinitely unless the nerve regenerates," he said. "The best option is to sew it shut permanently, so it will stay moist and still continue to operate."

A team of doctors first numbed the area with local anaesthesia. I screamed from the top of my lungs every time the needle pierced my eye socket. They claimed that they've never had a patient yell that loud. I didn't care. Then three sutures were sewn on my eyelid- one in the middle, one on the left, and the third on the right.

As soon as they were done, they told me to sit up. I gradually got up. Then they kicked me out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. said...

I literally jumped in my seat when you wrote "pierced" ... surgeons are notorious for their lack of bedside manners!

Okay, we now bgin our prayers for the 5th optic nerve regeneration to begin {gentle hugs}.

... does D&G make eye patches?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going on "the" Ernie-Tells-An-Eye-Doctor-Story Diet - at least until dinner. OMg just last night we had Thai eggplants. I feel queasy.

Just the other day I heard a really loud noise and I stopped and wondered how far away it was and what made it? So it was you screaming, no doubt.

chicken hugs -

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home