Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Ernie's First Blog Entry Transcribed By His Secretary

Woohoo! I'm finally getting to write you.

Sorry for the lack of updates. The past two weeks have been nothing but an emotional and physical roller coaster.

I'll try and sum this up as quickly as possible.

* My vision in the left eye has rapidly declined. I can no longer post blog updates by myself but together with people helping me I can establish some consistency.

* I put my cell phone in the washing machine, and it is now broken. All of your phone numbers are gone except for the ones I have memorized.

* Two weeks ago, I walked two miles in 30 minutes on a treadmill. Now, I can barely walk to the end of the street and back.

It is amazing to see how quickly Leukemia has taken over. Honestly, there are days when I am so sick that all I want to do is fall asleep and never wake up. But I still press on.

When your daily conversation focuses on your end of days, it really changes your perspective about life. Hardly anything matters to me except for spending time with God, my family, and Paul.

I don't know at this point whether I will see some of you, but I do know that you are thinking of and praying for me.

If you did not know me and walked up and asked if I've lived a good life the answer would be an emphatic "Yes!".

I just wish that I was able to respond to all of your kind emails, voicemails, and text messages.

This is not my final blog entry. I will try harder to update as often as possible.

Thank you all for your love."

8 Comments:

Blogger Ben Calhoun said...

Ernie-it is soooooo goood to hear from you. I was so worried!!! I had no way to contact you. My cell is 703-403-5099 and email is ben_calhoun@msn.com.

I will be in Charlottesville this weekend if you are up for some company! I assume you are with family. Tell your secretary thank you so much!

My love and prayers are yours, sweetie! Let me hear from you about visiting>

xoxo,

Ben

12:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ernie - Just wanted to let you know that I think of you often and you are one of my most favorite people in the whole world that I have met (and know that I really do mean that as I have traveled this world quite a bit!). :) I have such happy memories of time spent with you and Paul and Steve and you always have a way of making a person feel good about life and themselves with your sense of humor, fun, positivity and your amazing outlook - not to mention your fashion sense! I wish you the best and am sending you the biggest hug. Love Erin

2:23 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

Ernie,
You are my dearest friend. Thank you for all your love.
Love always,
Sylvia L.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Michael K. said...

Ernesto, I'll be in DC in a couple of weeks (4/08-12) and if you are up there (and not in Charlottesville) I do hope you will be in the mood for a visit -- if only a short one.

Even when it is years between sightings, whenever I see you it is just like picking up a long conversation wherever we left off so I never really feel like you are far away from me :-)

Mahal Kita, sweet boy :-)
HUGS
Phyllis K

7:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ernie - So great to hear from you! constantly thinking of a praying for you pal.

xoxo - Tonia

10:21 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I love you Ernie, though it's been 20 or more years, my memories of you are funny and fashionable (that Keith Haring watch & not being ready when you took me out to breakfast at that swanky hotel out on 29 -- Doubletree?)I'll be thinking of you everyday. I'm sorry I didn't know sooner.

Cathy Pitts (DeSilvey)

12:17 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Erie-
THis is Lee Sidebottom from CHS (a blast from the past, huh?). Wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and praying for you often. I am always reminded of you when I visit the downtown ACAC and see that handsome picture of you in the lobby!! You are so wonderful and you always made me laugh so much. Keep that smile and that strength. Please let me know if there is anything you need from me/any help I can lend. In God's love, Lee

1:04 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

ooooppppsssss-

ERNIE!!!! not erie. I need more coffee obviously. Sorry ERNIE!!!

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home