Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Is Black Blecch?

One person who I've always admired is my Aunt Paula, the sister of Paul's mom. Ever since the day I met her, she was wearing bright colors, whether it was on her blouse, pants, or her myriad of accessories from hats to purses. My Washington D.C. conservative eyes didn't quite understand it, but it was something I was strangely drawn to.

Wearing color, especially vibrant and daring shades of unusual greens, oragnes, and pinks, challenges the normalcy of blues, blacks, and browns. It is something only the daring and bold personalities would try and push the engelope. It makes the statement, "Look at me! I'm alive and kciking! I'm standing out of the crowd of normality! What are you doing and what are you wearing?"

Now don't get me wrong- waering safe colors like blue or black especailly wearing all black, can make a statement as well. It takes the focus off your clothes, slims you out, and draws attention to your face and some of your accessories like your earrings. It's safe and stylish.

But what is life about? Is it about fitting in? Is it about making no satement of all? While personality counts, shouldn't your appearance say something also about who you are?

And let's look at accessorizing: are you wearing a backpack to work or using a briefcase made from quality leather and craftmanship? What about your shoes? All comfort but no style? The other part of your apperance is your accessories: your tie, your earrings, your watch. They tooo have something to say, whether it's nothing or something one would pay you a compliment.

Say something. Stand out. If it's not your clothes, make your personality, activities, or hobbies shine and stir up conversation.

In the words of my pastor, "Not a sermon, just a thought."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home