Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Birthday That Wasn't Supposed To Be

Tomorrow, I turn 37. It's the birthday that doctors said wouldn't happen.

I vividly remember last year's party, where I told most of my family (37 of them) the news that doctors said I had less than a year to live. We all started crying. We celebrated it as if it was my last.

And here I am, turning older, wiser, and hopefully, as I close my eyes, make a wish and blow out the candles, a little bit healthier.

I've never been so grateful for a birthday in this way. In the past, I focused on presents, the anticipation of surprise, and the pampering of my body whatever way I wished. Today, I'm celebrating life. I'm alive, breathing, smiling, and loving my family, partner, and friends every day in every way possible.

So...as I go to bed, and hopefully wake up tomorrow morning, let's raise a glass and toast, to the "birthday that wasn't supposed to be".

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Calhoun said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!!!
I'm so glad you're still here and
that you are my friend.

Give Paul my best!

Ben Calhoun

10:03 AM  
Blogger Michael K. said...

You, dear man, are a blessed miracle, and (since you are still here) apparently still have some more shopping left to do :-)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Ernie!!!! Great job at beating the docs at their own game! Keep it up - and best of health to you in the years to come.


You're ole buddy,
Royanne

4:24 PM  
Blogger ellyt said...

Happy Birthday Ernie,
From ALL of the Step Sluts here in Charlottesville. We will sing a round of Happy Birthday to you, in our very best voices.
Much love to you and here's to stepping for health, as long as we can!
~Elly

8:03 AM  
Blogger Linda Pratt said...

A very happy and very belated Happy Birthday! It makes me think of the beanie babies!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home