Monday, June 06, 2005

Sound The Alarm!

Whoa. Something weird happened today. Something that hasn't happened here before, at least conciously from what I remember. As I drove my way to the gym this morning, an armoured security van was ahead of me in another lane. A sticker on the back of the van had the word "Crimestoppers" written on it and a phone number below. "Crimestoppers," I thought. "That's like in the States."

Up until now, my reaction would have been "Aww, that reminds me of being back home! I miss it." Instead I thought "Eww. That's familiar and boring instead of new and unusual. I'm glad that I'm here in Sydney."

What the heck was that?! Repite por favor. "I'm glad I'm here in Sydney." Shocking! That's the first time where I thought that I didn't want to be back in DC, and instead felt better to be in a country where things were a little different.

And the kicker soon followed. I got caught in a little traffic congestion. It lasted all of maybe 6 seconds. The next thought was "Good thing I'm not in DC, where I'm stuck in traffic for about 40 minutes and traveled for maybe half a mile."

Wow. Those words: "Good thing I'm not in DC" has never ran through my head!

I parked my Vespa near the gym, and walking towards the door, I looked around with a new set of eyes. A new set of eyes that appreciated all that was different and slightly strange. I looked up at the buildings full of contemporary and colorful architecture, I looked at the funky outfits that people were wearing as they strolled by, and I liked it.

I'm amazed. Truly am. Now don't get all crazy on me. It doesn't mean I'll think "I'm glad I'm in Sydney" all the time, and it certainly doesn't mean that I don't miss home. But it does mean that I may feel a little more open to and appreciative of the web that Sydney is weaving around me.

That's pretty cool! Wouldn't you agree?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home