Monday, February 11, 2008

"Fighting Cancer":

I've been wondering lately what that phrase means.

It hasn't even been a week since my first dose of chemo, and I am feelin' rotten and tired all the day long.

So, if I'm told to "fight cancer", does that mean to "take it easy", by relaxing, getting plenty of rest, and eating healthy? Or does "fighting cancer" mean to "keep on keeping on"- to live a normal life and do your typical routine to inhibit cancer from taking more of a foothold in your life?

Or does "fighting cancer" mean to "live each day as if it's your last"- to pamper yourself with things you've always wanted, to travel and see the world, visit friends, and eat and drink whatever you want, regardless of potential hazards to your compromised health?

It's been thoroughly confusing, because there have been many days recently that I don't know what to do. I want to do "x", but I feel like I should "y".

Your feedback would be appreciated.

(Except for the suggestion of "a combination of all three, depending on how you feel." What "I feel" may not always be what's best for me or my health.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

My two cents: I think you should listen to your body and act accordingly. If you're tired and feeling like you need to stay in your pjs all day and veg in front of the TV, do that. If you're craving rocky road ice cream with hot fudge, eat it. But if you always feel like crap when you indulge in something sweet, then stick to healthy choices.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine it would be difficult to just go about your life as if cancer weren't a part of it since you've got a bunch of medical stuff to do that affects how you feel both physically and emotionally. And shouldn't we all live each day like it were our last? But most of us that aren't facing a life threatening situation don't actually do it, so I'll leave that one up to you.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home