Thursday, September 28, 2006

Next Wednesday, October 4th

I found out today that I have just five days of "freedom" left.

The next chapter of my fight against cancer begins next Wednesday. I will receive a more precise radiation treatment called tomotherapy everywhere in both my brain and spine, making me the first patient to go through it at University of Virginia Hospital. The treatments will go through November, depending on how well my body handles the side effects.

Short-term side effects are:
*extreme fatigue
*loss of hair (Ernie Kojak)
*diarrhea and nausea
*swelling of brain

Long-term side effects are:
*short term memory problems (um, who doesn't already have this?)
*liver problems
*thyroid problems

Wow. What a way to come down off a fun birthday month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home