Tuesday, February 28, 2006

$ Update

On a snowy Thursday in January, I was sick with a brain tumor and had to have emergency surgery. I was in the hospital recovering for over a week. I had doctor visits, catscans galore, hospital meals, and blood withdrawn from my veins almost every day ALL WITHOUT ANY HEALTH INSURANCE. That's right. My health insurance in Sydney didn't cover you outside of Australia.

About a week later while recovering at home, the maill arrived. In it was a bill that said I owed $34,000. I felt light-headed. $34K- that's a new car or a down payment on a house. I don't have that kind of money lying around, I was at a new job for barely a week when this all happened.

An aunt of mine who worked at the hospital said I should apply for patient financial assistance. I called them, and they explained that they only accepted people who were indigent. I had indigestion, but that's another story. I decided to apply. I sent off my application, my financial statements they required, and a letter from my parents letting them know that they provide me meals, transportation and housing.

The mail came yesterday. One was for me, marked "Patient Financial Assistance Program". I broke a sweat when I opened it up.

I GOT APPROVED! 100% COVERED! I don't owe a dime. Whew! I looked up at the ceiling and thanked God he showed favor on this storyline in the brain tumor soap. Now it's time to wrap up the rest, especially the twin brother that I thought I never had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home