Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Came Out Yesterday (Again).

After eating dinner with my mom last night, I stayed at the table. She didn't hold back- we had a conversation about my sexuality. It went a little something like this:

Mom: "Are you gay?"

Ernie: (choking on my drink) "What?"

M: "You know, are you following the Lord in every part of your life?"

E: "Uh, yes, why?"

M: "Because God may hinder answering prayer if you're not right with him."

E: (playing dumb) "What do you mean?"

M: "I know you have gay friends, but are you being gay with them?"

E: (truly curious about what she's hinting at) "Being gay with them?"

M: "You know, when gay men are with each other, they kiss and hug each other."

E: "Oh, I see. I hug and kiss my best friend (who's straight), so that means we're both gay."

M: "No, that's different."

E: "Mom, I'm a non-practicing gay." (Lie, lie, lie.)

M: "Instead of saying that, can you say that you're a non-practicing straight?"


There's a whole lot more to this conversation (about another 25 minutes worth), but I left it out to not take the whole page. Don't be bothered by this conversation, I'm certainly not. It ended on a good note. She's scared of losing me to cancer and needed to hear that I'm 110% secure with my relationship with God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

But Ernie, if you don't practice, how are you ever going to get any good at it?

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home