Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Don't Bee Scared.




The biggest, fattest bumblee (much, much bigger than the one in the picture, in fact, I'm convinced it was the queen) was walking around downstairs in our house. It was about an inch wide. I saw it last night and ignored it, because it looked old and I thought it would die soon. I saw it again this morning, just walking around, and thought I needed to do something about it.


I grabbed a glass and a magazine from the kitchen and went downstairs. It was still walking slowly around on the carpet, and looked like it just couldn't be bothered. I approached it with the glass and trapped it. Still no reaction from the bee. But once I started sliding the magazine underneath the glass, that was it. All of a sudden, the bee started buzzing loudly and the bottom part of its body towards the stinger started pulsating furiously.


It started to fly madly around inside the glass. It was furious. I quickly grabbed the magazine tighter, walked him outside, and as soon as I opened the glass, it flew out. I ran towards the house and saw him buzz up into the air. I was convinced it would come at me like a bull to finish me. Instead, it just noisily buzzed away.


The adrenaline in my blood and my heartbeat took a long time to return to normal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home