Thursday, January 19, 2006

My gym has a long indoor track running right through the middle of the gym surprisingly not interfering with any of the workout equipment. Today, there was this feeble middle-aged man on the track who used a special crutch to lean on and slowly walk around. His body resembled those of strong runners, lean and full of speed. But others were running, jogging, and even walking right passed him. I watched him and started feeling sad. I walked up to him and said "Sir, I'm sorry to bother you, but I admire you for having the courage to look beyond this and push through it. I had a brain tumor not too long ago, and it hit my body so hard that I crawled on my hands and knees for a while until I could slowly walk again. I admire you. Keep on staying strong."

He listened intently but did not reply. His attendant behind him said he could not speak. Then the guy on the crutch smiled. I looked at him, he looked at me, and we both started crying. I walked away, bawling.

I at that very instant, wanted someone to comfort me. I thought of Paul. He consoled me. He was there for me through my surgeries. Through my rehab. Through my radiation.

I walked to a corner of the gym and just cried by myself. I had no idea how touching that moment would be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home